Monday 13 August 2012

Foundations and Summerhouses


This year the family summer holiday provided more than an escape from the routine of everyday living.  Aside from the cultural education and relaxation aspects,  I had a chance to formulate the plot for my novel, which up until recently was a 'mishmash' of thoughts and feelings and lacked coherence in my mind.  Whilst I am sure things will change, it now has a spine from which the branches of the story can grow.  I had the idea for a short story which I will pick up when the time is right and wrote the framework of another short story which now needs the 'meat on the bones'.  I also learnt something very important -  that whilst I can read through almost any noise associated with family life, I simply can't write with any distractions.  As I am due to start my OU course in under two months I think this last realisation is fairly crucial.  Unless I sit on my bed, I have nowhere to study or write without being in the throng of things (my chiropractor would have a field day!)

Coincidentally I bought a writers magazine to read on the journey which included an article on writers workspace.  The cover shows a very romantic picture of an author sitting in a summerhouse with hens pecking the dappled sunlit ground.  "Where are you going to study?" asked The Guitarman (husband) as we sat in the shade on the peaceful terrace one afternoon.  "Err, I had thought at the dining room table but now I am beginning to wonder if that will work....  I have no idea!"  I replied with more than a hint of panic.  He picked up the magazine and said, "I think we should build you a summerhouse." 

For the last three days all five members of the 'H' clan have been involved in preparing the ground for the summerhouse.  The sun has shone, we've had laughs - fortunately no tears  - but plenty of mud and stones, railway sleepers, blisters and aching muscles and we did it!  I feel very proud and very lucky that along with The Guitarman my three teenage boys willingly and enthusiastically helped build the foundation.  I am moved and overwhelmed by the poignancy of what is essentially an area of concrete and wood.  I am truly grateful to my supportive family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. Feedback is always appreciated!