Friday 26 October 2012

Tutorials -

Not Compulsory But Can You Manage Without Them?


For me personally -  no.
 
OK so it's still early days and at this stage I have only attended two but both undoubtedly provided the impetus I needed to get the first TMA underway.  I left the tutorials with a sense of purpose and clarity which I hadn't achieved from reading the study material alone.  I have thrown myself into this wholeheartedly - amongst other things I have watched just over three hours of Cleopatra, I have listened to BBC4 history podcasts and I have visited the National Gallery and Courtauld Gallery to see the Cezanne paintings in the 'flesh'.  The three plus hours of Cleopatra were worth it just to illuminate Plutarch's view on her visit to Tarsus.   But what really got me going was sitting with my contemporaries discussing the various aspects of the topic.  Everyone contributed something, it felt as though we were on the same level - it dispelled the feeling of inadequacy over the standard and content of the discussion forums.  Equally with regards to Cezanne, I was completely dazed and out of my depth after reading the chapter through twice - but after the day class on Saturday, I came away feeling that I had at least some understanding of what Cezanne was trying to achieve.

Of course there is every chance that this could just be me.  I have been out of education for over twenty six years, I am out of practice.  Maybe a few topics or even modules down the line I won't feel quite the same. 

Right now though, I would categorically say, if you can go - do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. Feedback is always appreciated!