Thursday 6 June 2013

We Survived - Year One!

It's been a long time since my last post, as expected things got very hectic towards the end of last month.  As a 'mature' student learning to combine the essay deadlines, family and friend commitments and generally just living - all take practise.  Academia aside, I have learnt that I can walk past the pile of papers on the table without tidying them - and the world doesn't come to an end.  I have also learnt that the family won't die of starvation because I'm not cooking and that the ironing pile mountain can actually get pretty damn high before toppling - so what!  Don't get me wrong, I'm not the only one in the house capable of doing these things, but typically it comes down to me - and I have learnt to let it go. I feel quite liberated as well as educated and the truth is that the pressure only comes from me! 

It is fair to say that I have embraced the learning experience and that it has awakened a hunger in me. My confidence has grown, my memory improved (if only slightly) and my social horizons have widened.  I see links and connections  in literature or history that I never knew existed before.   This both excites me and scares me. How can I ever have time to read it all or remember it! 

I have a few months now to recharge the batteries before beginning the next five years (which I believe run concurrently). I desperately want to get writing again and in fact took a special day trip last week in the name of 'research' - but that's a blog for next time.

If anyone is contemplating a late education, like me - I would categorically say 'stop thinking and just do it!' 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. Feedback is always appreciated!